Q3 Challenge Part 3

Before I went to bed last night I laid out some prefelt shapes made from the carded batts, and not one to waste anything, a few of the discs cut from the silk cocoons too.

IMG_4735

I am loving the orange against the blue (I knew I would) but now I am worrying that the colours will all blend together as the piece is fulled. Thinking about it, I have unwittingly managed to include all the primary and secondary colours from the colour wheel except red, I’m quietly praying it doesn’t turn into a muddy brown mess…. 🙁

Starting to fix the design, I rather like how the bubbles and plastic overlay the design underneath, the stark lines are created by the silk cocoon bumps.

IMG_4737

Removing the plastic to rearrange some of the prefelts that have moved while rubbing

IMG_4739

After lots more rubbing and a bit of throwing I gingerly opened up the cocoons, some of them had rotated so that the holes I had so neatly cut to let the dye in were no longer at the top.
IMG_4741
I’m a little bit disappointed the edges to the orange prefelts have gone rather fuzzy (I should have made the prefelt firmer before cutting it up) but I think I can visually sharpen them back up with a bit of machine embroidery.

Some close ups of the felt while it is still drying:

IMG_4745 IMG_4747 IMG_4748 IMG_4749

I love how this cocoon produced a tail of loose silk as I opened it up:

IMG_4743
Next time, adding some embroidery and thinking about how to hang / frame it.

10 comments

  1. Superb piece! I too love the way the silk dangles from the cocoon. The felt stands on its own but would also look good with machine embroidery.

  2. Superb piece! I too love the way the silk dangles from the cocoon. The felt stands on its own but would also look good with machine embroidery.

Leave a Reply to Ruth Lane Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *