De-constructed Screen Printing Part 2

Today I got to use the screens I made yesterday and these are the results…

The bubble wrap screen on dry felt:

IMG_5929

After steaming, it’s odd how the red has washed out leaving a yellowy-orange and paler red:

IMG_5975

IMG_5976

IMG_5977

The bubble wrap screen on wet felt (too wet felt 🙁 , all the colours blended to a sludgy brown mess by the time it came out of the steamer)

IMG_5930

IMG_5932

After steaming:

IMG_5966

This was a piece of nuno felt I pressed into the dye left on the bubble wrap after making the screen:

IMG_5933

And then printed over the top with the same screen turned 90 degrees:

IMG_5934

After steaming:

IMG_5970

Bubble wrap and oak leaves:

IMG_5922

 

I didn’t get the red dye from the screen coming through until the 3rd section, so went back and did another print on the middle section, I can’t decide if that was a mistake, because now it has adouble-vision effect:

IMG_5923

After steaming:

IMG_5962

IMG_5963

IMG_5964

Then I pulled some green print paste across the same screen over a yellow felt, I was aiming for an autumnal effect, gold, orange and green…

IMG_5925

 

And repeated the process to fill in some of the yellow space.

IMG_5927

After steaming, again the red has washed out along with some of the green:

IMG_5960

The white felt below was damp and was printed from this screen:

IMG_5918

IMG_5937

After steaming:

IMG_5954

These are a couple of other prints I made from the same screen with different shades of green:

IMG_5953

IMG_5952

I made another screen by drawing with the print paste, its not as easy as you might think…

You can’t see it in the picture but there is a piece of prefelt under the screen, picking up any print paste that goes through.

IMG_5935

And once dry, I screened some turquoise screen paste through it, onto the piece of prefelt now stuck to the back of the screen. Although the printing isn’t that even, I really like this one, it has the feel of a faded photograph about it.

IMG_5941

After steaming, again most of the dye has washed out and I’m not sure why:

IMG_5955

And then onto some damp prefelt:

IMG_5942

I really like the first print from this set, the drawings rapidly degraded after that, here’s a close up of the first one:

IMG_5943

After steaming:

IMG_5945

And some close ups:

IMG_5948

IMG_5947

I also had a bit of a play with screening through some stencils, I pinned a piece of habouti silk over a piece of felt, then laid the stencil followed by the screen. I did not add detergent to the print paste for this one.

IMG_5938

After steaming:

IMG_5958

This one I did add a drop of detergent before laying the bead:

IMG_5939

After steaming:

IMG_5957

and another this time with a leaf paper lamination “stencil”:

IMG_5940

After steaming:

IMG_5959

All of the silk prints “bled”, creating fuzzy, disappointing images but I am happy with how all of the felt images turned out.

These are some of the prints I took while making the screens:

IMG_5971

IMG_5973

IMG_5974

Finally I drew another screen, this time with the paste on the flat side of the screen to see if it will last a little longer. This one is busy drying ready to use another day…

IMG_5944

4 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *