The parrot eating sea monster I completed a couple of weeks ago has found his way safely across the Atlantic, as Ceci his new owner said, he must have a fantastic sense of smell to be able to sniff out his new prey all that way 🙂
Ceci took a couple of videos of Ki’s first interactions with his new hidey-hole, at first he looked a little uncertain, apparently Senegal Parrots are rather wary of anything new entering their environment, and to be fair to Ki, the sea monster definitely falls into the weird category!
Ceci had the inspired idea of adding orange patches over the sea monster’s back, sadly it was too late to wet felt these in but they did lend themselves rather well to needle felting, I really like the final effect and will definitely be doing this again.
We also shortened the eye stalks and straightened out the spines on the back so he looks more like Boris Johnson (London Mayor) and less like Phil Spector in Be My Baby:
I’m really pleased with this cave and a little sad to see him go to his new home, but I am sure he will be loved.
Today I started working on the stacked boxes hat again, and hope to have something worth sharing with you by Sunday. I also made a start on using some of the printed felt from the screen printing course, the pile is getting a little bit excessive (it is even starting to rival my ironing pile, and that takes some doing!) so I have promised myself to use at least a third of it before I am allowed to venture back into the dyeing shed again…
The Sea Monster came on in leaps and bounds over the weekend, it still needs the tongue and internal perch but I’m so pleased with him I thought I’d share a few photos of him in his nearly finished state…
I rearranged the green stripes on the pectoral fins and I’m much happier with the finer stripes.
Ceci requested marbles for eyes and chose the traditional cats eyes type.
Starting to make the spikes for the monster’s back.
It has been a busy weekend and the monster is almost finished, it just needs a tongue ramp and the perch to be installed on the inside once it has dried. I’m rather pleased with how the eyes on stalks have turned out, they are very comical, I will try to get a photo of the nearly finished cave tomorrow or Tuesday.
While waiting for the cave to dry I have been doing a bit more screen printing, playing with some different stamps / resists:
The larger and simple stamps worked quite well just dipping them in print paste and stamping onto the screen, but the more detailed stamps only really worked if the paste was squeegeed over them through the screen.
This is the print from the stamped (left) and squeegeed staps on a deconstructed screen.
The elastic bands made a nice deconstructed screen:
And these are the prints it gave:
I also had a play with some paper resists:
And of course printed into my sketchbook to use up the left over paste:
For those of you reading by email, this is the link to the web page: blog post
A recent discussion on the Felting and Fiber Forum reminded me of a technique I haven’t used for a while, it relies the quality of some coarser wools to migrate through (engulf) finer wools, Gotland is a good example of this.
For this cat cave I laid out 3 layers of Gotland, some thin plastic resist in a scroll pattern and 2 layers of teal merino.
Here you can see the Gotland already starting to invade the merino after just 100 rolls:
The pattern on the finished cave before shaving, the Gotland has engulfed the merino except where the plastic resist was placed (even there it has tried to migrate over the merino (it really is the Japanese Bind Weed of the wool world):
And after shaving:
This is the resist and the finished cave, it shrank just a little during the fulling!