I love the long holiday weekends and Easter, with both the Friday and the Monday off is the best of all, a whole 4 days to do with as I please, and invariably that means textiles!
I’ve had my fingers in lots of different textile pies this week:
A new nuno dress (photos of that later – it is nearly finished so won’t be too long to wait).
My first attempt at a tailored jacket, I love everything about it except for the collar reveal, it’s all lumpy and misshapen and I can’t figure out why… it will be accompanying me to my dress-making class, hopefully the tutor can explain what I have done wrong and, more importantly, how to put it right.
Back in the felt world, I made a new lacy scarf and, while I was dyeing this, I put in a few pieces of prefelt, I’m debating on cutting up the prefelt to make nuno scarves with geometric designs.
I am finding myself drawn back into the beauty of the microscopic world (in part thanks to pinterest) and have been developing an idea for a 3D representation of a carpet of cells. I am thinking a series of small pods, the interiors will be black so that when I cut an opening they will appear to have nuclei. The question is, how to join them together? I have 3 or 4 ideas on how I might achieve this. This is my first test piece…
I’m ashamed to say I have been procrastinating terribly over posting my work on Etsy for the last few of months to the point where I have a box full of work now waiting to be listed. However, I have been making amends this weekend and photographed 80% of it, now I just need to make myself sit down and write the descriptions and titles. Definitely a job to be done in front of the TV with a glass of wine in hand! 🙂
What have you been up to this weekend?
In my last post I shared a picture of my latest coral-inspired piece at the pre-felt stage.
I really liked it at this stage and was worried I wouldn’t like it as much once felted but prefelt isn’t particularly strong so felt it I did…
And I’m really pleased with how it turned out, placing the folds closer together is so much more aesthetically pleasing. It’s busy drying at the moment waiting for me to mount it but in the meantime here are some photos from different angles.
Linking up to nina-marie, off the wall Friday
As promised a few more hats to go on sale at Weyfest…
And my second version of the coral piece, this time with the “squiggles” closer together, this is it at the prefelt stage just about to start fulling. It kinda reminds me of the rings when you cut through a tree trunk.
I came across this photo of coral by Wolfgang Seifarth on pinterest and it got me thinking about a 3D felt piece. It looks like felt already doesn’t it?
Using a similar technique to the one I used to make my felt cuff for my C&G course I thought I should be able to make a 3D wall hanging. I wanted to dye it so that the folds of the “coral” are visually thrown forward of the background but I thought complementary colours would be too much, maybe a lighter colour on the tips than the background?
I constructed this piece from prefelts stitched together before fulling and then dyeing. I’m afraid I forgot to take a photo in my excitement to dye this piece. Here it is after the first round of dyeing.
It looks OK but I felt was missing something. So it went back into the dye pot…
And after mounting…
I like it but can see ways to improve it, most notably by placing the raised squiggles closer together as they are in the coral photo.
BTW, I got my dates for Weyfest mixed up, it’s not until next weekend, so I’m sure to make one or two more hats between now and then! Watch this space 🙂
Alright, of course I am teasing, but Mr TB has nicknamed my latest offering the “Alien Signpost”. This is by far the largest piece of felt I have ever made, it was about 1.5 x 1.2 m (5 ft x 4 ft) when first laid out. It has proved to be quite a challenge, firstly just reaching the middle to lay out the surface decoration but also when trying to move it / roll it up, it was just such handful!
It also took an incredibly long time to lay out the design too, about 8 hours including the time it took to card the wools for the background.
When finished it will be a felt hanging and was based on a monoprint I made on some handmade paper last year.
It is still at the prefelt stage, I allowed it to dry out so I could deal with a couple of prefelts that weren’t adhering as strongly as I would like and needle felt some finer details before fulling. This is what it currently looks like:
I am expecting the colours to become muted during fulling as the paler background colours migrate to the front.